Home Forums Feature Wish List Mark as pending

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I am in love with this app! I love love love it. However, something that would help me out tremendously would be able to right click and mark it as pending, or something along those lines. I pay bills on Friday, and would like the ability to click which ones have been paid, but not mark them completed because they haven’t cleared the bank yet. I have been using Mark as Completed, then when I’m done I unmark all of them and wait for them to clear, but if I could eliminate that step, I’d be super grateful. Anyway, love the app! Thanks so much for helping me do what I did for HOURS with pen and paper each month in mere minutes. <3

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

Is anyone else using this idea or would benefit from this suggestion?

• justinl
        Participant

I have been using ClearCheckbook for several years now and specifically use them for tracking pending transactions (they call it “jived” when a transaction posts/clears). I will continue to use them for daily money management until my subscription is up, but it would be nice if your site also used this format too, emphasis being on implementing a way to see today’s current balance (without pending) vs actually balance (after everything has cleared).

• JamesTH
        Participant

A would like the pending also. That way all future “scheduled and repeating” items appear different from the regular entries after the day has passed by so we know that item needs confirmed before becoming an official entry.

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

We don’t have a pending state, but we sort of have it in reverse. We have a “Marked as complete” option (if you right-click on a transaction, or swipe left on a transaction on mobile) you can mark a transaction as completed. So, you could consider all entries as pending until they are completed. Does this meet the needs of this request?

• JamesTH
      Participant

Possibly. Is there a way to make a visual difference between completed vs non-completed items on the calendar view? That way a quick glance at the monthly calendar shows which are incomplete yet and needs to be updated or finalized, etc.

• JamesTH
      Participant

Ok, I see now that a checkmark appears when completed. That may work for me. I’ll use that awhile and see what I think. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

• ShadowFire
      Participant

I would totally use this “mark as pending”. As someone else said, I use Completed to indicate my transaction has hit the bank. There is a difference though to me from scheduled and pending. For example, my electric bill. I know the average it is every month so I have a reoccurring event scheduled in CalendarBudget with that amount. But when I log into the website and actually pay the bill, I would like to mark it as Pending. Then I know that I have paid the bill even though it hasn’t hit the bank. Then once it has hit the bank, I can mark it complete. I don’t know if people feel this is over kill, but it definitely would help me to have a way to mark Pending.

• bethiecox1074
        Participant

I would LOVE to have a way to show that I have submitted an item for payment but has not cleared my bank yet. I use the Completed check box to show a transaction has cleared. I currently just leave the item alone until it clears, because like ShadowFire I do recurring “estimate” amounts for my utilities, but I have to track that I actually submitted the payment in a spreadsheet outside of the system. Would love to be able to do all tracking in this wonderful app!

• ValZho
      Participant

I think I submitted a feature request like this at some point in the past. To me there are really three states for transactions in CalendarBudget:

1. Planned / Scheduled
      2. Paid
      3. Completed / Cleared

This is such a fundamental need that, personally, I just mock the behavior by using text prefixes for all of my scheduled transactions to indicate the difference. For example, I can have something like: “** Electric: $100” recurring monthly, which then becomes “Electric: $87.65” when I get the actual bill, and finally tag it with “cleared” when the transaction has cleared the bank.

I also use a text prefix and a dedicated category for transfers — especially for end-of-year accounting, those have to be treated totally differently from regular transactions.

The benefit of having using the text prefixing, too, is that it sorts the transactions — all the scheduled transactions, regular transactions, and transfers are grouped together, and that is something that I find extremely useful. If more robust status settings were baked in, that would be awesome, but I would definitely want to have the ability to have them grouped in this way.

• jgoliver
      Participant

I would also like a pending or ‘payment scheduled’ state. It’s useful for me because I still do not use autopay for a lot of my budgets. So when I go and pay a bill, I would like the pending state to show/remind me that I have paid it but it has not cleared yet.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.