Home Forums CalendarBudget Support Combine or Consolidate Expense Entries

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

New user here, and have a functionality question.  I've been trying out the tool this week and searched the forums, but is there a way that I can merge all of my expenses in a single day into one entry and/or category?  For example, I may have five expense entries in a single day that are from various restaurants – instead of cluttering up the calendar with a list of similar transactions is there a way to drag/drop or combine them easily into one entry that says “eating out” and has a grand total for the day?

To phrase the question a different way, is there a way to toggle between displaying categories vs. transactions on the calendar?

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

Hi Jman,
      There isn't a way to show only spending by category on a specific day. Each day always shows all of the transactions that happened on that day. To visually see which ones came from a particular category, you can enable the category highlighting by checking all of the categories in the sidebar. If you have too many transactions to see, use the “+” icon at the far right of that row to expand the row to full height and see everything in a day.

• jman420
      Participant

Thank you, Eric.

I do really like this tool so far, it is one of a few that will actually forecast budget balances!  Keep up the great work!  If I might suggest, since the relationship exists between category and transaction, an enhancement to allow toggling between the two on the calendar display.

Thanks!

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

Thanks. I'm not quite sure that you mean – could you elaborate?
      At the moment, you can toggle the highlight of categories, but changing an entry from one category to another is done in the edit dialog for that entry.

• jman420
      Participant

Eric,

I would be glad to elaborate.  On some days I have 20+ transactions and it can get pretty messy looking.  When I'm scanning daily totals for ways to save it would be nice to see the calendar something like this:

Current View:

Monday May 21
      BRAUMS STORE GA ($25.83)
      BRAUMS STORE GA ($3.69)
      BRAUMS STORE GA ($6.45)
      TARGET DEBIT CRD ($18.50)
      TARGET DEBIT CRD ($21.28)
      TARGET DEBIT CRD (163.20)

Proposed View:

Monday May 21
      Food – Restaurants ($35.97)
      Housing – Target ($202.98)

Where “Food – Restaurants” and “Housing – Target” are categories that I previously created and assigned to the above detailed transactions (under current view).

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

I understand. So daily Roll-Up by category. Interesting idea. I'll add this to our to-do list

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.